With Thanksgiving for our American friends just around the corner, we thought it was fitting to make a delicious, low FODMAP Pecan Pie treat to share with your friends and family.
Pecan Pie – serves 8
Gluten Free shortcrust pastry crust
· 1 cup water
· 2 tsp salt
· 90g unsalted butter, chopped and kept cold
· 150g gluten free flour mix (plus ½ cup for kneading)
· 2g Xanthan gum
· 2 eggs
· 50g unsalted butter, chopped
· 150g brown sugar
· 130ml rice malt syrup
· 30ml maple syrup
· 3 eggs, lightly beaten
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 240g pecans
· Lactose free cream to serve
To make the pastry
· Preheat oven to 200c
· In a saucepan, combine water, salt and butter.
· Bring to a simmer and add the flour and xanthan gum. Stir vigorously with a wooden spoon. Lower temperature and continue cooking and stirring until the pastry comes away from the sides and is well combined. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
· When cooled, whisk 1 egg at a time, add the first egg and incorporate fully. If the mixture is a dough texture you may not need the other egg.
· Turn dough out onto a surface with the extra ½ cup of flour and knead until shiny. ‘
· Wrap pastry in cling film and refrigerate.
· When chilled (can leave it overnight) roll pastry between two sheets of baking paper with a rolling pin until 0.5cm thick.
· Place pastry into greased loose bottom fluted pie dish and press down, trim edges with a knife.
· Pierce bottom of pastry several times with a fork to avoid it puffing up, blind bake with baking beans or rice for 15 minutes.
· Reduce oven temperature to 175c
To make filling
· Place butter, sugar, rice malt and maple syrup into a saucepan and cook over a low-medium heat, stirring until butter melts and mixture is smooth, not grainy.
· Remove from heat and leave to cool slightly.
· When cooled, add eggs and vanilla and whisk to combine.
· Scatter pecans over pastry base and pour syrup over the top.
· Place pie on an oven tray and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until filling is browned and firm to touch.