With the new school year well and truly here, here are some novel ideas for school lunchboxes that are low in FODMAPs but high in nutrition and flavour!
Lunchbox 1 – sushi sandwiches
- Sushi sandwiches made with flattened spelt sourdough bread (crusts removed) and either cream cheese (lactose free if you are very sensitive), tuna, avocado* and grated carrot or cream cheese, smoked salmon and cucumber.
- Lactose free yoghurt
- Gluten free corn and sorghum flakes
- Carrot sticks
Lunchbox 2 – pikelets
- Baby snacking cucumber
- Gluten free pikelets based on ‘Pancakes with fresh strawberries vanilla’ – available on The Monash University Low FODMAP Diet app. Made small without accompaniments
- Homemade trail mix with sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries*
- Hard yellow cheese sliced
Lunchbox 3 – corn fritters
- Cherry tomatoes
- Corn fritters based on ‘Corn patties with crisp prosciutto’ – available on The Monash University Low FODMAP Diet app. Made without spring onion and chives for fussy children who don’t like “green bits”
- Eggplant dip
- Rice crackers
*Handy reminder ~ Avocado, cherries and dried cranberries can be high in FODMAPs if consumed in excessive quantities. However, the amounts used in the lunchboxes above are low in FODMAPs.
For more tips on packing a nutritious low FODMAP lunchbox click here.